The 11 footballers who have made the most appearances in the English league, including Tony Ford & Graham Alexander the only two outfield players to have reached 1,000. Alexander retired from playing on April 28th 2012 when, in stoppage time, he scored for Preston NE directly from a free-kick with the last kick of his playing career. Sir Alex Ferguson managed a total of 808 premier league games and a total of 1500 matches in his 26 year stay at Manchester United.
1. Graham “Grezza” Alexander (837 League Appearances): Scottish International right-back. He is the third oldest player to score in the Premier League.
Clubs: Scunthorpe, Lton, Preston, Burnley.
2. Peter Shilton OBE (1005 League Appearances): English goalkeeper. He is currently holds both the records for number of League appearances and full England caps. He won the League Championship and 2 successive European Cups with Nottingham Forest. He was the PFA Player of the Year 1978 and was inducted into English Football Hall of Fame in 2002.
Clubs: Leicester, Stoke, Southampton.
3. Norman John Trollope (770 League Appearances): English left-back. He holds the record of number of league appearances made for one club - Swindon Town. His run of 368 consecutive appearances was brought to an end in August 1968 by a broken arm.
Clubs: Swindon Town.
4. Mick Tait (760 League Appearances): English central midfielder. In his long career he won 2nd, 3rd and 4th Division Title medals.
Clubs: Carlisle, Portsmouth, Reading.
5. Tony Ford MBE (931 League Appearances): English right midfielder. He is the all-time record holder for matches played in the Eenglish League by an outfield player.
Clubs: Grimsby, West Brom, Mansfield.
6. Roy Sproson (760 League Appearances): English left- centre half. He holds the all-time appearance record for Port Vale his one and only club.
7. Robbie James (783 League Appearances): Welsh midfielder. He contributed gratly to Swansea City's rise from the 4th Division to the 1st Division between 1978 and 1981. He collapsed and died whilst playing for Lllanelli vs Porthcawl on 18th Febuary 1998.
Clubs: Swansea City, QPR, Bradford.
8. Jimmy Dickinson ( 764 League Appearances): Englsih left-centre half. He holds the record for number of League appearances for Portsmouth, his only club. Nicknamed "Gentleman Jim" as he was never booked in his career.
9. Alan Oakes (776 League Appearances): English midfielder. He played in all but one of the matches in Manchester City's First Division winning season in 1967 - 68.
Clubs: Manchester City and Chester City.
10. Terry Paine MBE (824 League Appearances): English forward. He was 'ever-present' for a record number of 7 seasons at Southampton. Best side burns in the Football League.
Clubs: Southampton and Hereford.
11. Tommy Hutchinson (863 League Appearances): Scottish midfielder nicknamed "Mr Magic" by the Coventry chairman. He infamously scored for both teams in the Manchester City vs Spurs FA Cup final in 1981.
Clubs: Coventry City, Manchester City, Blackpool, Swansea City.
12. Sir Alex Ferguson OBE CBE (1500 games managed): After 26 years, he is the longest serving manager in Manchester United's history. With 13 Premier League Championships, 5 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 2 UEFA Champions Leagues, 1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup, a UEFA Super Cup plus and international and FIFA Club World Cup under his belt, he is the msot succesfull Brithish manager of all time.
Handmade artwork printed in high resolution on premium white art paper. Prints are unframed.
All prints come numbered and signed by the artist, Bernard Kelly.